Footy Works Frequently Asked Questions and Tips
From time to time, you may experience difficulties with Footy Works, be it when installing, registering or running Footy Works. Although Sorensen Technologies has tried to produce the best product possible, there are circumstances that we may not have considered or computer setups that we do not have access to (or we just made a mistake) that may cause users problems in getting Footy Works to function correctly, or even at all.
The following problems have occurred to more than one user, which indicates that these problems are reproducible, and should be easier to fix or work around.
Known Issues and Problems
(Footy Works 2017 Edition and earlier)
- You may experience issues with opening the database with the install pack available from the Downloads page. If you are unable to start Footy Works from this install pack, please download the Access Database Engine, open a command prompt in Administrator mode, and type 'AccessDatabaseEngine.exe /passive' to install the necessary components.
- If your system is running low on memory, then some of the large graphs (historical scores, margins and ladder positions for a team) may cause a run-time 480 error. If this occurs, try reducing the number of applications running at the same time, or try viewing just a small range of seasons via the Statistics Season Range area of Footy Works.
- The Footy Works search screen in expanded format can take 1 or 2 minutes to display - this performance issue will be addressed in a future update.
- When entering match results yourself (instead of importing them), you may find that team and opponent average ladder positions are not always correct. You can correct the values manually via the adjust ladder screen.
- When Round 1 matches of a new season are entered, some of the team position values are incorrectly set in the league ladder. These will need to be manually adjusted for the time-being (or import the data from the downloads page).
- When a new season is added but there have been no matches added to it as yet, then if that season is selected in the Search screen, a run-time error will occur if you attempt to perform a search. To prevent this error, do not select the empty season.
Tips and Workarounds
- If you are upgrading Footy Works from an earlier version, please uninstall the old version before installing the latest version.
- When installing Footy Works on Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 10 PC's, it is recommended that you run the install program in 'Administrator' mode. You can do this by right-clicking the install program and selecting the 'Run As Administrator' option.
- When running Footy Works on Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 10 PC's, you may find that it fails to start, citing a database error. If this occurs, you will need to run Footy Works in 'Administrator' mode. You can do this by right-clicking the 'Footy Works' program icon and selecting the 'Run As Administrator' option. Alternatively, please download an updated exe file and replace the existing file in your 'Program Files (x86)' directory.
- When registering Footy Works, you must enter your name and Registration Code on the Registration screen, and also clicking the 'Extended Data' check box, either once (if you wish to use the optional extended data - with a one-off additional cost) or twice if you do not. This will enable the 'Register' button. Then click on the 'Register' button. This will then register Footy Works. This problem has been fixed in the above exe file update.
- Please note that when upgrading the software, you cannot do this via the import function - you must actually replace the exe file to update the software.
- When setting your search parameters on the Search screen, please make sure that all the parameters are set to how you expect them to be. Often you may forget that you are search against particular rounds or finals matches etc. from a previous search, and forgetting to reset the parameters for a subsequent search. This can lead to unexpected search results.
- Some users have confused the Season Range statistics node with the complete statistics node, resulting in the user getting different information to what they were expecting. Please ensure that you are aware of the node that you are currently in before questioning the validity of the results.
^ back to the top ^
This page was last updated on 2017-02-27.